[chef] Rationale behind deployment callbacks / hooks

  • From: Loïc Antoine-Gombeaud < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Rationale behind deployment callbacks / hooks
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:42:23 +0100

Hi chefs,

can somebody explain the rationale behind deployment callbacks, also called deployment hooks [1]? More precisely, I understand their purpose quite well (and use them myself), however I don't understand why they should be stored in the application code base instead of inside the cookbooks.
According to Scalarium documentation [2], it is an inherited Capistrano behaviour, but that doesn't answer the question of location AFAICT.

The reasons I'm asking are the following:
- it's a pain to maintain deployment code in two distinct repositories, and
- I'm just curious :)

Any pointers?

Cheers,
Loïc

[1] http://wiki.opscode.com/display/chef/Deploy+Resource#DeployResource-InteractingwithYourInfrastructureDuringDeployment
[2] http://support.scalarium.com/kb/deployment/how-can-i-use-deployment-callbacks

--
Loic ANTOINE-GOMBEAUD
IT contact & DevOps Engineer

Plinga GmbH | Saarbrücker Straße 20/21 | 10405 Berlin | Germany
E-Mail:  " target="_blank">  | skype: loic.plinga
Cell: +49 (0) 160 922 86573

www.plinga.com

Geschäftsführer: Johannes Kreibohm, Florian Schmidt-Amelung
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 119994