[chef] Re: chef_gem and minitest-chef-handler

  • From: Jon Stemmle < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: chef_gem and minitest-chef-handler
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 09:50:19 -0800

I was running into something similar on our end as well.  I'd be interested in the solution.

Thanks,
Jon

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 6:02 PM, < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
For a while now we have been using minitest-handler 0.1.2 as part of our
testing process. This was working as recently as last Friday, however after
coming back from a long weekend, I came into find that provisioning new test
nodes (with minitest handler in the run_list) are failing when attempting to
perform the installation of the minitest-chef-handler gem. I've place a copy of
the relevant log output here: https://gist.github.com/dpetzel/4727746.

It seems for some reason, that something in the chain changed and its now
attempting to install json which is requiring native extensions. This never
used to be the case, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed on our end.

Whats really strange is that despite that exception, if I run chef-client again
the run proceeds without error (which baffles me even more).

So unfortunately for us we need it the pass on the first run without needing
the second run. Our testing process automatically provisions the nodes, so if a
failure occurs in the first run it marks the test as failed

Is anyone else running into this?

I do understand I could probably work around this by running something like
build-essentials prior to the minitest cookbook, but that feels unnecessary,
and if nothing else I would like to at least understand why this new failure
has cropped up.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks