[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: chef_gem and minitest-chef-handler

  • From: David Petzel < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: chef_gem and minitest-chef-handler
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:01:22 -0500

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Daniel DeLeo < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Rubygems is generally optimistic about new versions of things. If there's any newer version of a gem that fits within the dependency constraints of a gem you're installing, ruby gems will try to install it.

--
Daniel DeLeo

That makes some sense based on what I am seeing. What I think I'm seeing is the handler gem has a dependency on chef (without a version constraint): https://github.com/calavera/minitest-chef-handler/blob/master/minitest-chef-handler.gemspec#L17

And based on what your saying its maybe trying to satisfy that with the latest chef 11 gem, which has recently bumped the constraint on json to 1.7.6: https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/chef.gemspec#L23 (the 10.x versions pinned an older version)

That would explain the "why" on the newer version of JSON. I did a little bit of digging on the JSON gem (again Im pretty much a newb at this) and it appears there are two implementations (pure and c extensions). It is possible that somewhere along the path the dependency changes from pure to c extensions?

Anything I'm saying make sense, or am I way of the deep end?