[chef] Re: Chef 10.18 to CHEF 11 upgrade problem

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Chef 10.18 to CHEF 11 upgrade problem
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 08:59:21 -0800

On Friday, February 8, 2013 at 7:02 AM, Philippe Bérard wrote:

I’m getting in a strange problem just after upgrading from chef 0.10.18 to chef 0.11.

I had CHEF installed through Ubuntu 12.04 regular packages and updated to CHEF by installing the “chef-server_11.0.4-1.ubuntu.12.04_amd64.deb” package, stopping rabbitmq and then launching “chef-server-ctl reconfigure”.

I had at first problem with chef-server-webui as my 10.18 installation was running through Apache 2 and the DEB install runs NGINX.

But, then, the old configuration is lost : no more cookbooks, databags, roles, environments and nodes.

Is it a normal situation, and I have to re-create or import all those elements, or is there any other robust path to follow to upgrade my 10.18 CHEF to 11 ? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

The backing database changed in Chef 11, so you'll need to migrate. We haven't released any migration tools yet, but I chatted with the guys working on this and they're making very good progress. We don't have a specific ETA on when these will be finished.

--
Daniel DeLeo