[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Installation of Chef 11.0.4-1 on CentOS 6

  • From: Sascha Bates < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Installation of Chef 11.0.4-1 on CentOS 6
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:57:29 -0600

A few more points ->
If the server has an assigned hostname but it doesn't resolve, the install will fail with mysterious error message.
If there is another web server already running on the server, the pedant testing will fail in a non-obvious way as well.

I had a server handed to me by my client who had been using it for something else (hand me down server). They changed the host name on the server, but it was just a place holder and didn't really exist.  I fixed it by adding the machine IP/hostname to the host file. This is documented here: http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-3837

The second thing I encountered on my hand-me-down server is that someone already had an httpd service running and I didn't notice until I checked the nginx logs and found the "address already in use." Pedant was failing with plain connection reset.

These were easy for me to resolve, but I just wanted to toss them out there for other things that people can check on.

Sascha

Sascha Bates | "> | 612 850 0444 | | |