[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef, test-kitchen, vagrant and net-ssh fun

  • From: "Julian C. Dunn" < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Chef, test-kitchen, vagrant and net-ssh fun
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:08:08 -0500

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Erik Hollensbe < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

Bundler (and rubygems, but only secondary) is the problem here. There's a workaround for some situations at the end of this email, but requires changes to the code.

vagrant depends on net-ssh 2.2.2 (and an older version of net-scp) which conflicts with chef's dependency on newer versions of net-ssh. I already had a PR rejected by Mitchell to resolve this the day of the 10.20/11.2 release, and I'll leave it there.

That's interesting -- I put in a PR https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/pull/1376 to relax the constraint, so we'll see what happens. I tested vagrant with 2.6.5 and it works fine.

I personally hate Bundler and try not to use it unless necessary. Bundler, gemsets, Omnibus Ruby installs, etc. -- all these things are just crutches for people's gems not to play nicely with each other and respect SemVer, etc. I feel a blog post coming on... :)

- Julian