[chef] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-3930: Run apt-get update automagically if apt-get install fails

  • From: Andrea Campi < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: CHEF-3930: Run apt-get update automagically if apt-get install fails
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 00:44:22 +0100

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Bryan McLellan < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Andrea Campi
< "> > wrote:
> What about making it opt-in / opt-out with an attribute?
> I don't much care which way the default is, but it would sure be nice to
> have the option.

It would have to be a global attribute and the only established
pattern we have for that is Chef::Config options. These can kind of be
managed by templatizing the client.rb (e.g. chef-client cookbook) but
it's less of a "flag" than would be convenient for this sort of thing.

The reason it can't be a resource attribute is if you want it the
other way around, you're populating "auto_update true/false" in every
package resource in every cookbook if you want it the other way
around.

D'oh, for some reason I was thinking "cookbook".

But yeah, it feels awesome. Of course the apt package provider should
help me with my apt-cache! We also felt it violates a Chef Law, but
none of us could name it.

Yeah, it feels a bit "do what I mean", but in this case I think that's quite reasonable.

Playing devil's advocate, how will that work with cookbooks that use apt_repository, which runs apt-get update ?
Worst case there will be more than one apt-get update in a single run (and that probably only if the package is not there for real).
Can you think of other edge cases?