[chef] Updating chef

  • From: Morgan Blackthorne < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Updating chef
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 18:03:55 -0800

I have a few different AMIs which are still using 10.12.0, which bugs me with the slow startup time, and I just found an issue with the newer java cookbook that seems to be related to the Chef version as well.

Should I work to upgrade everything to the latest 10.x release, or should I consider moving to 11? What are the advantages of 11 over 10? The server is still running 10.x, are 11 clients backwards compatible with a 10.x server? (If yes, I may upgrade the clients now and work on the server down the line.)

Also, is there a good way to upgrade chef from a chef cookbook, or is that something better left to OS-based management? I originally installed it via the Ubuntu repository, but I removed the apt repo from the AMIs to lock the version as I was unsure how newer versions might break management (later experience indicates that it's not nearly as fragile as Puppet was).

--
~*~ StormeRider ~*~

"Every world needs its heroes [...] They inspire us to be better than we are. And they protect from the darkness that's just around the corner."

(from Smallville Season 6x1: "Zod")

On why I hate the phrase "that's so lame"... http://bit.ly/Ps3uSS