[chef] Re: Downgrade your ridley gem if berks upload doesn't work

  • From: nick hatch < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Downgrade your ridley gem if berks upload doesn't work
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:26:36 -0700

On Thursday, March 14, 2013, Todd Michael Bushnell wrote:
Thanks Kevin!  I lost a few hours on this one yesterday as well before finally giving up and pinning Berkshelf to an older version.  I switched to your solution and upload works.  I do still get the following:

Ridley::Errors::HTTPBadRequest {"error":["Field 'metadata.name' invalid"]}

It appears to be benign [...]

Not benign, I was bit by both issues yesterday while bootstrapping a local dev server. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.

Started to prep pull requests before I realized the scope of the problem. (~tens of community cookbooks affected.) Besides, isn't the name optional anyways? Ridley appears to try and use a fallback name when uploading if one isn't present, not sure where its going wrong.

As a new Chef user, I've found the lack of stability with documentation and some of the community tools very frustrating in the last month. Tough time to get started, too easy to waste a lot of time on bugs and unspoken 10/11 changes.

-n