[chef] Initial problems with new install of Chef Server 11.0.6

  • From: William McVey < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Initial problems with new install of Chef Server 11.0.6
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:27:48 -0400

I've installed Chef Server 11.0.6 and Chef 11.4.0 onto Ubuntu 12.04.2 and am now trying to get things configured. The server has a DNS CNAME I'd like to associate with all chef related tasks, lets call it chef.cname.domain.org. When I run 'chef-server-ctl show-config' I see that I have my host's generic FQDN listed in the lb/api_fqdn  lb/web_ui_fqdn, nginx/server_name and nginx/url keys. Obviously that needs to be fixed and I need to reconfigure to use chef.cname.domain.org, however according to: http://docs.opscode.com/server/ctl_chef_server.html  the reconfigure reconfigures the system according to   /etc/chef-server/chef-server.rb Not only does that file not exist at that path, but according to 'find',  chef-server.rb doesn't exist anywhere at all on my filesystem. I obviously can use the 'show-config' command, but that dumps json. I don't know the syntax of the chef-server.rb file though.

  -- William