[chef] Version contraints in metadata

  • From: Gavin Sandie < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Version contraints in metadata
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:52:14 +0100

Hi,

I've got a cookbook that I've tested on some versions of Ubuntu but not all.

In my metadata I'm wanting to do:

supports "ubuntu", ">= 11.04", "< 12.10"

The docs[1] suggest this cane be done, though the example is missing.

However "knife cookbook test" doesn't like it:

ERROR: Chef::Exceptions::ObsoleteDependencySyntax: The dependency specification syntax you are using is no longer valid. You may not specify more than one version constraint for a particular cookbook.

What's the best way to constrain my cookbook so that it will only run on OS versions that I've tested it on?

For reference, this is running on chef 11.4.0.

Cheers, Gavin