[chef] Re: Missing information in the Chef Installation Docs

  • From: Lunixer < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Missing information in the Chef Installation Docs
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:31:20 -0700

I agree that the documentation is not in the proper sequence.
One needs to go back and forth between pages to put the pieces together, but the Chef v11, docs are so much better than v10.

This link contains details to disable the WebUI.
http://www.opscode.com/blog/2013/03/11/chef-11-server-up-and-running/

Chef Server Configuration

The main configuration file for the Chef Server in Chef 11 is /etc/chef-server/chef-server.rb. It uses a Ruby DSL similar to other Chef configuration files, /etc/chef/client.rb, ~/.chef/knife.rb, etc. We’re working on getting all the various settings documented. For now, they’re all defined as attributes in the cookbook used by chef-server-ctl reconfigure. An example will illustrate this.

In the attributes file, we control whether the WebUI is enabled:

default['chef_server']['chef-server-webui']['enable'] = true

To modify this in /etc/chef-server/chef-server.rb, for example to disable it:

chef_server_webui['enable'] = false

Note Attributes that have a dash should have it replaced with an underscore in the chef-server.rb config file.

-lun