[chef] Windows Blues, part 2

  • From: Jeppe Nejsum Madsen < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Windows Blues, part 2
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:12:38 +0200

Ohai,

Just a quick update on our quest to deploy Windows Server 2012 on EC2.

As mentioned previously, we've given up on using WinRM due the bug with quota management. So we're using SSH instead and after some initial issues everything is working now.

It does take quite a few modifications to the knife-ec2 & knife-windows plugins in order to bootstrap on EC2 using plain knife:

* Using 32-bit FreeSSHD requires http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/KNIFE-249
* Plain bugs in plugins: http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/KNIFE-284, http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/KNIFE-285
* No ability to specify initial JSON attributes: http://tickets.opscode.com/browse/KNIFE-286

Hopefully these will be resolved soon. I'll probably write up a blog post at some point with our findings....

/Jeppe