[chef] Re: Re: Re: Windows Blues, part 2

  • From: Adam Edwards < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Windows Blues, part 2
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:53:16 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Thanks for the details Jeppe. One more question on 2k12: if MSFT gets the quota bug fixed soon, will you be able get back on the wagon using Win2k12?

Thanks.

-Adam

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Adam Edwards < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Thanks for the summary Jeppe. KNIFE-286 should be addressed in master today and the ticket will be updated, and there are a few other fixes going into knife-windows. I'd like to release that set of changes as soon as possible, I'll give an update on Wednesday once we're firm on the timeline for release, and whether we include the other 3 you list below. Normally I would rather wait on those, but they completely block the ssh scenarios.

Sounds good! Agree that it seems as if SSH doesn't currently work with Windows.

Regarding Server 2012, I'd like to be clear on what's blocked — is it bootstrap that's failing or recipes that require more quota (e.g. Sql server)? I would not expect the former since we found that a while ago and worked around it. For the latter, is the scheduled task workaround an option?

Bootstrap worked (with the patches mentioned previously), it was the quota management that hit us. I haven't tried the scheduled tasks but did try the PsExec workaround and that worked. We just decided that it was not a sustainable solution, as basically we would have to do it on many recipes.

Ie. initially we only observed the problem with SQL Server, so we added PsExec to this recipe. Then we found out that running all the recipes in the run_list would cause some powershell scripts to fail in mysterious ways (but not when running only this recipe). Adding PsExec here also solved the problem.

/Jeppe