[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Using Role attributes inside bash resource

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Using Role attributes inside bash resource
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:52:13 -0700

On Monday, June 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Yonah Russ wrote:

The attributes json I'm using is approximately as follows:

{
"apache_net":"blah",
        "internal_net":"blah",
        "code_branch":"master",
        "circonus_broker":"blah",
        "datacenter":"blah",
"run_list": [ "role[ed-mobile]" ]
}

There is nothing there but a couple node specific attributes and a run list which is the role.
If I modify to this, everything works:
{
"apache_net":"blah",
        "internal_net":"blah",
        "code_branch":"master",
        "circonus_broker":"blah",
        "datacenter":"blah",
        "webconfig":{
            "newrelic": {
                "key" : "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
                "appname" : "WWW"
            }
        },
"run_list": [ "role[ed-mobile]" ]
}

If you think it will help trace the problem, I'll try throwing something non-existent into the role but it seems to me the role is pretty much working.

Thanks,
Yonah
It's worth a try. When you're debugging, *something* in the system is operating contrary to your mental model of how it operates. I find that trying to make something fail in a way you think it should is often a good way to narrow down what part of reality is conflicting with your model. In this case, careful evaluation of the debug logs could be just as helpful, YMMV.

--
Daniel DeLeo