[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: progress of a chef run

  • From: Daniel DeLeo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: progress of a chef run
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:52:32 -0700

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM, steve . wrote:

It looks like event handlers can now hook into one of three places:
 * Start handlers hook in at the beginning of a run.
 * Report handlers hook in at the end of a successful run.
 * Exception handlers hook in after an exception is raised (i.e., after an _unsuccessful_ run).

It seems to me that you'd need your code to fire at the beginning of a run and monitor resources as they're converged.  So that'd be a start handler.  I don't know of any start handlers in the wild (or within my organization) ... so I'm not sure how well-explored this area is in the community.  Or even if there's any documentation on using them.

I suggest an alternative:  Write your own Chef output formatter that streams a progress update to a remote service.

Observe the behavior of the nyancat Chef formatter:
FWIW, Output formatters are built on a lower level instrumentation framework that we added in 10.14.0:

https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/event_dispatch/base.rb

Configuration of custom event handlers is a little rough around the edges, this will improve as people start to use them and we understand the use cases better.

--
Daniel DeLeo