[chef] RE: Re: Multiple versions of same cookbook in one chef git repo

  • From: "Kadel-Garcia, Nico" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Re: Multiple versions of same cookbook in one chef git repo
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:54:36 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Torben wrote:

> You should consider to not manage all your cookbooks in one monolithic git repo, rather use individual git repos

Doing that can get interesting.  While it's possible to have an indeterminate number of versions of the same cookbook, scattered in different upstrem https or local filesystem locations, I'm afraid that tools like "librarian-chef" get very confused by this when they try to copy the cookbooks to "vendor_cookbooks or when they try to render dependencies in Cheffile.lock".

I really wish I could just rename the cookbook, such as "frenchfood", to store in "cookbooks/freenchfood-1.0", "cookbooks/frenchfood-1.1", "cookbooks/frenchfood-1.2", set the metadata.rb appropriately, and librarian-chef would just do the right tihings and load the new cookbooks based on metada.rb, not on the directory name. But I'm afraid that trying this simply yields up new cookbooks with names like "frenchfood-1.2", version 1.2, and "frenchfood-1.0", version 1.0. That way lies madness.

I'm also afraid that the same chef server is handling testing and production versoins of the same cookbooks. That makes it more awkward to run separate git repos: for the different environments, and almost demands running extra chef servers for those extra environments. It adds.... complexity to do that.