[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: knife command very slow

  • From: Cassiano Leal < >
  • To: < >, Daniel DeLeo < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: knife command very slow
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 15:28:42 -0300

On August 19, 2013 at 11:58:59, Daniel DeLeo ( ) wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2013 at 5:48 AM, Cassiano Leal wrote:

On August 16, 2013 at 09:35:24, Teemu Matilainen ( "> ) wrote:
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Cassiano Leal < "> > wrote:

> After cleaning up, time went down to 0.54s. After installing chefspec, this
> time doubled. Still acceptable, but I wouldn’t expect that this gem would
> increase the time. knife-ec2 increases about .02s to the run time.

I'm quite sure the slowness is because of knife subcommand loading. It
crawl through files in all gems while trying to find knife commands.

Doesn’t sound like the optimal way of dealing with gems. Maybe an actual plugins system would be better? Or some other way of letting knife know about installed commands?

This is something we're considering changing, especially since it's confusing for omnibus users to have to use /opt/chef/embedded/bin/gem. Substantive changes would have to wait for a major release, though.
That’s understandable, and I wouldn’t expect otherwise.

I’m good for the moment as knife is taking ~2s for anything (perfectly acceptable and much better than the previous ~16s!).

I don’t use omnibus on my laptop, as I prefer to manage all my rubies with a single version manager, so installing Chef as a gem is saner. I also don’t like to use either gemsets or bundles to manage command-line tools, since I usually want to run them from anywhere in the shell without having to change context first.
--
Daniel DeLeo