[chef] Re: Re: Re: Data Bag Search Delay

  • From: Steven Barre < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Data Bag Search Delay
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:47:41 -0700

Thanks for the info Stephen and Seth

I'm still new to this and only expect to have 200 nodes or so max. I've only got 15 right now.

What you may want to ask instead, is what is it about your usage of databags that necessitates real-time search?

Maybe you have a better idea of how I should be doing things? I'm setting up web servers with shared hosting. I've got a data bag for all the domains, each domain document has an attribute to say which node it belongs on. Then the recipe does

search(:domains, "nodes:#{node['hostname']}") do |domain|

to find all the domains it needs and to configure them.

We then have a webui to allow people to create domains. And the plan is to just add the document to the databag then call chef-client on the node and then return a success message to the user. So having that webui take a minute is a little undesirable.

What would be a better way to handle this?

Steven Barre, RHCE, ZCE, MCP

 ">

Systems Administrator / Programmer
Real Estate Webmasters - 250-753-9893