[chef] Re: Re: Data Bag Search Delay

  • From: Greg Zapp < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Data Bag Search Delay
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 12:16:55 +1300

I'm totally on board with it not being a replacement, but I feel it could be a supplement.  Working with auto scaling on AWS; nodes come and go.  New nodes will need a complete picture of what needs to be setup and Chef could provide that picture and it's designed to handle the load now as well.  Our agent supports jobs and will be used to run chef-client on demand, and do more job type stuff that doesn't fit neatly into the configuration domain.

I know I described a chef server usage pattern that resembles a job queue, however I'll be going the separate data bag route so new nodes can get all the info for their pool when they come up.  I will probably still use revision numbers or GUID stamps to speed up runs and allow the node to determine if it needs to action change on an item.

I've also high-jacked this thread thoroughly, sorry!

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Brad Knowles < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Oct 3, 2013, at 5:04 PM, Greg Zapp < "> > wrote:

> That's a good question and I don't have a good answer ATM.  I'm glad you asked it though because now I'm seriously weighing the options :D

Data bags and even writing node attributes is not a particularly good replacement for a proper reliable message queueing system.

--
Brad Knowles < "> >