[chef] Chef-client as unprivileged Windows user

  • From: Daniel Oliver < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Chef-client as unprivileged Windows user
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:16:56 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB

Hi list,

I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, but I can’t find in my archives.  I am testing our migration from Chef 10 to 11, and things have been ok the server and system side.  Unfortunately, I’ve hit a road-block when it comes to unprivileged Windows users.

We use Chef to perform various configuration tasks in each of our user profiles, such as dropping per-user configuration files into the correct location at login and periodically thereafter using a scheduled task.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to make Chef 11.6 deploy even the simplest template to a user’s profile; I just keep file security permission errors.  I have tried varying absolute/relative paths, Windows/Unix style directories and combinations of Windows/Unix permission options, all with no success.

I do see a 0-byte file appear, for which the current user is the owner having full control, and I am able to change permissions using Explorer.

I’ve looked through mv_windows.rb, and I understand why the permissions handling has been implemented as it has realise that this may well introduce some scenarios I need to work around.  However, what I don’t understand is why it isn’t working in this situation?  My user is able to manipulate the file permissions in Explorer with no privilege escalation, and the location I am trying to write to is not subject to redirection by the Virtual Store.  Chef is also creating a 0-byte file with the current user as the owner and explicit full control.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Dan.