[chef] RE: Chef-client as unprivileged Windows user

  • From: Kevin Keane Subscription < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [chef] RE: Chef-client as unprivileged Windows user
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 01:38:11 -0700

Title: RE: [chef] Chef-client as unprivileged Windows user

First of all, you mention that you are migrating from Chef 10 to Chef 11. Are you talking about migrating the server, or the client? Migrating the server really shouldn't make a difference; migrating the client might.

My best guess is that the permission problems aren't with the final file location, but rather with the Chef cache directory (or one of the other directories the Chef client uses). It is also possible that the problem arises because Chef doesn't actually create the file, but move it. Chef actually doesn't create templatized files in place. Rather, it builds the templatized files in a temporary location (I think it's actually the cache directory, but I'm not sure off the top of my head), computes the file hash, and then computes the hash of the existing file (only if a file already exists, of course). If the two hashes don't match, Chef then moves the file from the temporary location to its final place.

Generally, Chef was not really designed to run with limited permissions. I'm actually impressed that you manage to run it to set up per-user configurations; it's something I'd also love to be able to accomplish!

Kevin Keane

The NetTech

760-721-8339

http://www.4nettech.com