[chef] Re: Re: Re: Can I use spiceweasel for admin a localnet services or it is a overkill and ...

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Can I use spiceweasel for admin a localnet services or it is a overkill and ...
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 08:43:18 +0100

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Torben Knerr < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Oct 30, 2013 7:34 AM, "Vladimir Skubriev" < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

> 29.10.2013 21:21, Torben Knerr пишет:
>

>> Hi Vladimir,
>>
>> You could do that with Vagrant as well. Vagrant has providers e.g. for different cloud services, for local vm hosts like virtualbox or vmware or lxc, but also for managed servers (i.e. bare-metal / no VMs).
>>
> I thought that vagrant is only for testing and development purposes.

This is the common perception and was indeed the case with Vagrant 1.0 which would work with VirtualBox only.

Vagrant 1.1+ introduced an extensible plugin architecture, e.g. providers are just plugins now and there are already lots of them (vbox, vmware, lxc, aws, rackspace, etc...)

> Are you use vagrant with other than vbox provider to deploy production servers ?

Yes, vagrant-aws for cloud deployments, and vagrant-managed-servers for deploying to servers which are not VMs (only have ssh access, but can not destroy or create them)

> Do you think that vagrant is a better tool than lxc cookbook and knife-lxcremote plugin ?

Better depends on the context I guess :-)

Lxc cookbook sets up lxc. If you want to use the vagrant-lxc provider you have to set up lxc on your workstation (or wherever you want to run the lxc containers), and the lxc cookbook sounds perfect for this.

Never used the knife-lxcremote plugin, but I'm working mostly with Chef Solo so I barely need knife anyways.

>> The advantage is that you can use the same descriptor (Vagrantfile) and the same cli tools (vagrant up, etc) for local, cloud and bare metal deployments.

​P.S. forgot to mention: another big advantage is that you can use the rest of the Vagrant plugin ecosystem​ as well (not just providers) for all these deployments, e.g. the vagrant-omnibus plugin for installing Chef, the vagrant-berkshelf plugin, etc...

See here if you are interested in the Vagrant/Berkshelf/Chef Solo workflow that works for me:

> Hmm baremetal is very good. I must read about this.

Check out the vagrant-managed-servers provider. 'bare-metal' is probably the wrong term, I meant servers which run an OS already and where you have SSH access to, but no control over their lifecycle (e.g. no create and destroy as you can do with VMs).