[chef] Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: Newlines in templates

  • From: Daniel Condomitti < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: RE: Newlines in templates
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:40:27 -0800

Could it be done at the time that the template is actually parsed and written to disk based on the platform type?

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 9:03 AM, THARP, JOSHUA L < "> > wrote:
I am using Git, and with a little work (and a global setting that affects
all repositories) I can have it change the newlines. However, the question
remains if it is possible for Chef to do newline conversions. If Iā€™m editing
on a Windows PC, and I upload my cookbook ā€“ targeting a *nix platform ā€“ the
cookbook is going to have the wrong line endings, and many Linux
configuration files as well as shell interpreters are sensitive to the line
endings. I would think mine is a fairly common scenario.

Joshua,

While that's true, there's no sensible default that Chef could take.
What if you're managing a mixed Linux/Windows infrastructure with
Chef, and some of the templates need Windows-format line-endings and
others need Unix-format ones?

- Julian

--
[ WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian * only Web 1.0 ]
[ gopher://sdf.org/1/users/keymaker/ * compliant! ]