[chef] What are possible uses cases of chef-repo for me ?

  • From: Vladimir Skubriev < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] What are possible uses cases of chef-repo for me ?
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:00:22 +0400

I think that all chef server must be easily recovers, then we need in chef-repo all necessary information.

By default I have all, but without attention to the documentation remain clients, nodes(most dynamic essence's in infrastructure automation) and users.

For example we lost chef-server and it's information. What's next?

We have boostrapped clients to old server. How to quickly bootstrap them again with a new server?

I can create an existing chef-server with chef-solo and chef-server installation recipe very fastly.

But what's next ?

I must remember (or view my notes) nodes fqdn's for bootstrap them. Bootstrap them. Set them runlists. Regenerate chef-vault databags with new public keys of nodes.

Why not script this in some files? What do you think?

And place this files in chef-repo git, but exclude them for upload to chef-server(chefignore), and add them to git (git add .chefvault, git add .chefclients and somthing else)

I read about spiceweasel, but I think that it mostly for deploy some separately clusters with a copule of nodes fastly in a one command.

Unlike my case - Is gradually develop their infrastructure and keep everything in one place in VCS.

What other pitfalls there when you reinstall the chef-server from scratch with existing chef-repo ?

Or may be more sensible question how to store node information in chef-repo ?

Because I want to store everything about our infrastructure in one place. Why not ?

Why I must think every time about what and where is placed. I think this is a horror.

When you necessary data is distributed over several programs, formats, places etc.

For example now I used keepassx for store passwords, Using chef data bags to store the same passwords instead of store all sensitive information in a one place under VCS?

--
Best regards,

CVision Lab System Administrator
Vladmir Skubriev