[chef] About keys in chef-server and nodes

  • From: Vladimir Skubriev < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] About keys in chef-server and nodes
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:00:45 +0400

I read a doc http://docs.opscode.com/chef_private_keys.html

> Each node stores its private key locally.
agrees

>This private key is generated as part of the bootstrap process that initially installs the chef-client on the node.
How I can understand:
During bootstrap process server generate ONLY two keys.
One saved only on client - private key (private key never save on the server and saved only on the client.) = /etc/chef/client.pem
Other saved only on server - public key(and we can see this key via web interface tab clients).
OK ?

>The first time chef-client runs on that node, it uses the chef-validator to authenticate, but then on each subsequent run it uses the private key generated for that client by the server.

How I can understand - Now I have nodes private keys only on my nodes in /etc/chef/client.pem?

How I can automate assembly of this keys and put them to the chef-repo/.chef folder, to backup them ?

--
Best regards,

CVision Lab System Administrator
Vladmir Skubriev