[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: delayed evaluation?

  • From: Rilindo Foster < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: delayed evaluation?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 17:37:16 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On Dec 17, 2013, at 10:50 AM, John Alberts < "> > wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses.  So... it seems the consensus is that this is best done in a LWRP.  I had considered doing that, it just seemed like overkill for what should be a simple operation; that being, change the value of a variable(or attribute) and use that variable again later in the code.

Slightly off-topic, but where are you modifying It may be a style or philosophy thing, but I personally wouldn't try to modify an attribute once I declare it. I rather that I set my conditions up front in attributes file and maybe override them as necessary within the environment role. Changing them within the recipe strikes me as adding a significant amount of complexity to the code maintenance, as you now have to look at the recipes AND attributes when you modify the cookbook.

Rilindo Foster