[chef] Re: RE: Re: App cookbooks

  • From: Dylan Northrup < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: RE: Re: App cookbooks
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 08:26:05 -0500

Personally, the rule of thumb I have is use a shared cookbook until complexity of applications diverges to the point it "makes sense" to split the cookbook into multiple different ones. It's largely a matter of taste, but I've been bitten too many times by code fixes not being deployed everywhere.  By having multiple apps use the same cookbook, I use change inertia in my favor to stave off the cookbook split until it's absolutely necessary (and, in the process, helping insure fixes made to a cookbook affect as many apps/services/sites as possible).  Works for me, but YMMV.