[chef] Re: Re: App cookbooks

  • From: David Morton < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: App cookbooks
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 17:25:04 -0600

In our case, I have to disagree, since most of our devs don't want to deal with devops.  We have a lot of apps, but not very much server complexity for any one app.  We have a git hook based deploy process, so if a single cookbook can provision servers based on a data structure in data bags,  I think I can limit the ops side to those who deal with server provisioning, and have the server set up ready to accept a git push to deploy the app.   Having all the servers provisioned with chef, though, will help standardize all the environments.  Eventually, the cookbooks will need very little maintenance, and I won't have to create a new cookbook every time we start a new app - just add some data values and bootstrap the new servers.

Later I may add a rails app to manage the data bag data, allowing for quick provisioning of new app servers.