[chef] Re: Re: Best way to (minor) upgrade chef server?

  • From: Stephen Delano < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Best way to (minor) upgrade chef server?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:25:31 -0800

Unfortunately, `chef-server-ctl stop` will not work on the most recently released versions of chef-server. The reconfigure recipe for Postgres tries to determine if it needs to create the database, and the database needs to be running for this to take place. You should be just fine running the commands you mentioned in your first post (dpkg -i / reconfigure). Depending on the size of your infrastructure, Solr may take some time to restart and has even timed out on occasion. If this happens, simply wait for Solr to start back up and run reconfigure again.

The Postgres recipe bug will be fixed in the next release of chef-server, which is currently in the works: https://github.com/opscode/omnibus-chef-server/commit/70f48c174dae13a5fb63ae2aeefff55ab0d181de

-Stephen

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Seth Falcon < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

"> writes:
> I couldn’t find this in the docs. What’s the best way to upgrade chef server from say 11.0.8 to 11.0.10?
> Just "dpkg -i chef-server.deb && chef-server-ctl reconfigure” or are
> there any more actions required?

You should stop the services first before upgrading. So for a minor
update:

chef-server-ctl stop
dpkg -i chef-server-$VERSION.deb
chef-server-ctl reconfigure