[chef] Re: Bootstrapping a node without internet access.

  • From: JOHN HASTY < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Bootstrapping a node without internet access.
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:17:58 -0600

I have been dealing with this issue as well. Here are some of the things I have been working on:

1)  Created an internal web server to allow wget of Chef RPM and installation script and then install locally.

# Install Chef Client from Our Repo
cd /tmp
wget http://chefserver:4002/chef/chef-11.8.2-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
yum install -y chef-11.8.2-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

2)  We have our own internal yum repository for Red Hat.
3)  In the process of building our own gem server and configure gem to use it instead of rubygems. Still having problems with this, but it is lack of time rather than a technical issue.

We had tried to chase down all the IPs that could be used to fetch these resources. But it seems to be an ever changing list.

Using an internal source also ensures consistency of the versions of software installed. I had found that the zk gem, for example, had changed and was incompatible with other components.

JOHN HASTY
Software as a Service - DevOps
Software Group

Phone: 1-512-804-9968
E-mail:
  " target="_blank">
IBM

2407 S Congress Ave Ste E-350
Austin, TX 78704
United States

Inactive hide details for Kenneth Barry ---02/24/2014 10:16:55 AM--- I see reference to this in the documentation, but am uncleKenneth Barry ---02/24/2014 10:16:55 AM--- I see reference to this in the documentation, but am unclear how it might be accomplished. Anyone w