[chef] Re: Re: Bootstrapping a node without internet access.

  • From: Kenneth Barry < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Bootstrapping a node without internet access.
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:28:14 -0800

I'll keep this in mind re: our Linux stuff, but we are also about 60% Win....

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Lamont Granquist < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On 2/24/14 8:16 AM, Kenneth Barry wrote:
 I see reference to this in the documentation, but am unclear how it might be accomplished. Anyone with a link to a tutorial or guide on how this is to be accomplished?
if you've got your own internal kickstart server and yum repo then you could simply download the chef client RPMs and put them in your repo and then have your ks.cfg install and configure the client. you don't necessarily need to use bootstrap.

if all your servers are uniform (you only use RHEL6 or Ubuntu 12.04 or whatever) then you don't really need all the machinery of install.sh which has its own mini-ohai and then uses a webservice to find the latest chef client to install.  you can pin the distros that you use and pin the chef-client versions that you use and write your own simplified bootstrap scripts that just wget/curl the package you like and then install and bootstrap it.  if you have your chef-client packages accessible somewhere that both your public and private clouds can find it (or a list of URLs that you can plow through until you get one that doesn't error because of firewalls) then you can have one knife bootstrap script that works across all your clouds, but without needing install.sh

i wouldn't try porting install.sh directly to your internal infrastructure since it relies on the omnitruck API.  its been mentioned that we should ship omnitruck with enterprise chef (nee private chef) along with some scripts to sync our packages from S3 down to a repo sitting on the internal EC server, but that's never bubbled up to the top of things to do.