- From: Anna Redding <
- To: "
- Cc: "
- Subject: [chef] Re: using ip address for chef_server_url on /etc/chef/client.rb
- Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:53:21 -0600
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=gcom1024; d=yahoo.com; b=UXRxmA7k/R7MphDIwz0x+mctZtJBDAc3XWOJEZxA7QDoH1fCPxlnhwReYlHnL5Arny+bYEMACzemYEgjOdwZW8hQmV3/c50FntjcQ7qvpNUy061v4xdpys30U7sHWPWVKo90cf8Ac0xGdNHAzsxerdCeHbQqSl2K89gcP30Eyl4=;
I just encounters this very thing.
Here is what I have done and it works:
In the client.rb file, I reference the chef server with the value
I am using 'knife vsphere vm clone' to create my VMs.
In the VM template that I am cloning, I have added the Chef Server hostname
and IPaddr to the /etc/hosts file.
When the clone is created and the bootstrap (passed as option to knife
vsphere) initiated, it is
- successfully resolving and connecting to the chef server,
- creating the node,
- kicking off the cookbook (passed using the runlist option to knife
Hope that helps
Sent from my iPhone
On Feb 28, 2014, at 1:30 PM, Santhosh
> Hi, Using a hostname in etc/chef/client.rb for chef_server_url is not an
> option for me, Hence I'm forced to use a ip address for my chef server.
> Firstly , is this even allowed.?
> Second, at some point the chef-client tries to reverse lookup the ip
> address and tries to find the hostname(The DNS will return NXDOMAIN) and is
> not working.
> Can someone help me out.?
Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.