[chef] Re: Re: Getting local yum repositories enabled before other cookbooks demand them in bootstrap

  • From: Marco Betti < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Getting local yum repositories enabled before other cookbooks demand them in bootstrap
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 21:38:06 +0100

As per my understanding, if no recipe in the run list forces any package installation during compiling phase it is enough to correctly set the run-list. Sometimes it is not, because some recipe (for example ruby recipe of mysql cookbook if I well remember) forces packages installation during compiling phase, but I hadn't really understood if it is Nico's use case ;-)

Cheers!
Marco

Il 15/mar/2014 21:02 "Julian C. Dunn" < "> > ha scritto:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 7:43 AM, Kadel-Garcia, Nico
< "> > wrote:

> I'm testing some CentOS based systems that need Percona clustering. If I
> bootstrap the systems and have the
> 'recipe[yum::epel],recipe[yumrepo::percona]' recipes in the bootstrap run
> list, all is good. If I then configure the mysql settings to require the
> Percona versions of MySQL components,, such as setting the ":mysql => {
> :server => { packages => "Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-Server" }  }' and other
> relevant settings, those packages are not visible at the time I do the
> initial bootstrap, so the bootstrap fails. They're only visible to chef
> *after* some earlier chef run has already enabled the particular yum
> repositories.
>
> I'm not an expert, and this confuses me. Is there any graceful way to get
> the yum repositories enabled, and their contents properly detected, for
> later processing by mysql recipes?

Nico,

I'm a little confused by what you're describing. If you bootstrap a
fresh system with the run_list being something like
'recipe[yum-epel],recipe[yumrepo::percona],recipe[mysql::server]' and
the attribute node['mysql']['server']['packages'] =
['Percona-XtraDB-Cluster-Server'], you're saying it doesn't work?
Isn't the yum repo file created by the yumrepo::percona recipe you're
describing, so that it's available for the mysql::server run?

- Julian

--
[ Julian C. Dunn < "> >          * Sorry, I'm    ]
[ WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian    * only Web 1.0  ]