[chef] Ruby 2.0 / Bundler issues on Windows

  • From: Torben Knerr < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Ruby 2.0 / Bundler issues on Windows
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 11:43:22 +0100

Ohai Chefs,

might be a bit off-topic, but maybe you have the Ruby Fu to help me out here.

The issue: Ruby 2.0 changed its ABI (Application Binary Interface) and now any pre-compiled native gems for the mswin/mingw platforms don't work anymore. The obvious fix is to use the devkit and install the gems with the `--platform=ruby` flag.

That works fine for `gem install xyz --platform=ruby` but does not when using Bundler (i.e. `bundle install`): there is (afaik) no possibility to pass the `--platform=ruby` to bundler and thus it will prefer the precompiled native gems if available. If they were compiled against Ruby 1.9 things are breaking...

Question: do you have any solution to force bundler install with the `--platform` flag? How can we poor windows fellows handle this?

Btw: Vagrant changed to Ruby 2.0 a while ago, I suspect Omnibus will soon ship with Ruby 2.0 too?

Cheers,
Torben