[chef] Question on Test Kitchen usage - can you halt and restart the vm?

  • From: Richard Murray < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Question on Test Kitchen usage - can you halt and restart the vm?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 10:35:23 +0000

Hi,

I have some questions on using Test Kitchen (http://kitchen.ci/), I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but wasn't sure where else to ask.

Is it possible to do the equivalant of a 'vagrant halt' or a 'vagrant up' using Test Kitchen?

I switched to using TestKitchen after having problems running Vagrant with Berkshelf a Windows 7 PC. Whenever I 'vagrant up' I get an error 'Failed to load the "vagrant-berkshelf" plugin' even though the Gem is installed.  I found that Vagrant-berkshelf is being deprecated (according to https://sethvargo.com/the-future-of-vagrant-berkshelf/
so I tried Test Kitchen instead and it's working great with Berkshelf, however if I reboot my machine I have to run:

kitchen destroy
kitchen create
kitchen converge

Is there any way to halt the vm and just bring it back up again without having to re-provision it?

If there isn't and I need to use vagrant directly for this, I assume my only choice is to get berkshelf to download the dependencies e.g. berks install --path ../vendor-cookbooks' and create a Vagrant file to run chef-solo using this path on the cookbooks_path?

Thanks,
Richard.