[chef] Re: Question on Test Kitchen usage - can you halt and restart the vm?

  • From: Seth Vargo < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Question on Test Kitchen usage - can you halt and restart the vm?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 18:38:13 -0400

Richard,

You might be interested in this thread: https://github.com/test-kitchen/test-kitchen/issues/350

Thanks,
Seth

On Mar 27, 2014, at 6:08 AM, Richard Murray < "> > wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info Jeff and Seth.

I hadn't thought of of running the commands against the generated vagrant file, I'll give that a try.

Cheers,
Richard.

On 26 March 2014 18:25, Seth Falcon < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi there,

Richard Murray < "> > writes:
> Is it possible to do the equivalant of a 'vagrant halt' or a 'vagrant up'
> using Test Kitchen?

One thing you can do is cd into the directory where kitchen-vagrant
writes the Vagrantfile and run vargant commands. So you can do something
like:

    cd .kitchen/kitchen-vagrant/default-ubuntu-1204
    vagrant rsync

You can also set the VAGRANT_CWD environment variable but that will be
less useful if you have more than one box going in your kitchen setup.

> kitchen destroy
> kitchen create
> kitchen converge
>
> Is there any way to halt the vm and just bring it back up again without
> having to re-provision it?

Usually, kitchen converge is enough for me (don't need the explicit
create). Also for me, on an OS X laptop, I can suspend the laptop and my
vm is ok.

But as described above, I've done vagrant suspend/resume and had that
work.

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Development Lead | CHEF | http://www.getchef.com/ | @sfalcon