[chef] Re: RE: rails, nginx, unicorn

  • From: Jeff Byrnes < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: RE: rails, nginx, unicorn
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:00:50 -0400

We’ve written a few cookbooks for our Rails apps, but they’re private for various reasons. However, the community nginx cookbook is pretty good: https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks/nginx

And you can check out our fork of it that adds some socket proxy goodness for Unicorn:
https://github.com/evertrue/nginx-cookbook

The pattern we follow is to set up the server with nginx properly configured, then let the apps’ deployments install rbenv, Ruby, & Bundler, then use Bundler to install all the necessary gems for the app. Initial deployment is a bit slow, but after that, you’ve got the flexibility to let your apps determine the specific versions of things you need (e.g., Ruby itself, Rails, various gems).

--
Jeff Byrnes
@berkleebassist