[chef] Re: Re: Service Resource broken on OSX as of 11.12

  • From: Brian Hatfield < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Service Resource broken on OSX as of 11.12
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:12:52 -0400

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your response!

I can add this to the ticket if you'd like, but the resource attempts to glob a resource here:

https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/provider/service/macosx.rb#L192-L195

using a list of locations defined here:

https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/provider/service/macosx.rb#L28-L38

It seems plausible that one might run a service with a plist located elsewhere on the filesystem than what's in this list (we're not doing that under Chef, but I've seen it done).

Brian

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Daniel DeLeo < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Brian Hatfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I upgraded to 11.12 due to the heartbleed vulnerability and omnibus's embedded openssl - unfortunately, 11.12 has some service changes on OSX that break Chef (specifically, any time a service resource is re-opened, the chef run blows up).
>
> I realize that many people are at Chef-Conf, but this is a major regression that has made Chef unusable on OSX. I'm hoping to get help/attention on this?
>
> I'd be happy to submit a PR that reverts the service resource change, but I'm not sure if that's the right choice here.
I think it’d be preferable to move forward instead of reverting.

> https://tickets.opscode.com/browse/CHEF-5223

In that ticket, you write:

https://github.com/opscode/chef/commit/024b1e3e4de523d3c1ebbb42883a2bef3f9f415c "assumes things about where services end up that may not always be true.”

Can you elaborate on this?

> Halp!
>
> Brian

Looks to me like it should be pretty easy to fix, but I’d like to learn more about your comments on the ticket so we can write proper regression tests.

--
Daniel DeLeo