[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: [chef-dev] Ownership Changes of Chef Cookbooks Revisited

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: [chef-dev] Ownership Changes of Chef Cookbooks Revisited
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 12:41:42 -0700

I would really like to see Chef not be the SPOF for cookbook sharing and governance.  I would love to see someone aggressively fork the community site and implement their own code quality standards, supported features and governance.  Because as long as we think we're trying to produce the one apache cookbook that works on every RHEL, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Arch, Solaris and AIX distro for the past 10 years and supports binary and source installation, etc we're going to produce a mess which satisfies almost nobody.  The models of rubygems and CPAN and other library sites for languages are a really bad metaphor for this domain because we don't just have the problem of running on a few different versions of a language, but running on a huge matrix of different O/Ses and distros and all the ways that sysadmins like to maintain their servers.  There will never be the OneTrueWayToInstallApache.

It would also be good to see better competition in the 'marketplace' for cookbook governance.  I'd love to see us be able to be lazy and just steal good ideas that other people had implemented and had turned out to be successful (and also learn from the failures that happen).  Ideally Chef, the company, just gets out of the business of managing cookbooks entirely and we can focus on building the software behind it all.  I don't think that happens unless you have a robust, self-supporting community, though, and right now it feels too much like the Chef community is just looking entirely at the company to provide all the leadership here.  I don't think that's a good thing.

And when people start talking about "enforcement of community standards" when there's just one game in town, my inner anarchist gets very upset.  I'd prefer to see different communities, and if one of them has a complete internal political meltdown over moderation and governance then you can fork it all and patch the politics.