[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [chef-dev] Ownership Changes of Chef Cookbooks Revisited

  • From: Lamont Granquist < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Rajiv Ranganath < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: [chef-dev] Ownership Changes of Chef Cookbooks Revisited
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 11:01:19 -0700

On Tue May 27 10:05:48 2014, Rajiv Ranganath wrote:
I don't mean to hijack this thread. Lamont is making a **very** good
point and I wanted to give an example of what is possible.

If this is an approach that is interesting to you, I'll be at DevOps
Days Silicon Valley and we can continue the conversation there. I can
also show you some other things this approach allows us to do.

Thank you!

Best,
Rajiv

I don't think this is a hijack at all. What I'd really like to see is either the public supermarket instance supporting namespaces a bit more explicitly, or else the ability for you to run your own supermarket instance and the tools like berkshelf and knife cookbook site supporting pulling/pushing to your instance via some simple config. And I'd prefer to discuss whatever problems you are seeing with supporting your own community than trying to fix the governance problems in the existing Chef community site (although to be fair we should probably come up with better governance policy there, but I think if we can start seeing community forks of the community site that the requirements for the existing community site will start to change -- and I kind of hope the community will run faster at this problem than we can respond to it and fix the problems while we're still trying to react, and that we should focus on trying to enable what you're doing).

And Amazon Linux is a great example since its RHEL-like and we already don't do RHEL entirely well (see SELinux + apache cookbook) and then Amazon Linux is that odd mashup of different RHELs with fedora bits in it which makes it have other strange edge conditions, and nobody uses it much around the office here. It'll most likely be much better served by your fork.