[chef] Ohai custom plugin results not reported back to Chef server

  • From: Reto Hermann < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Ohai custom plugin results not reported back to Chef server
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:48:20 +0200

I am experimenting with chef-client version 11.10.0.rc.1 on AIX 6.1.

I have written an Ohai 7 plugin and therefore upgraded Ohai on the AIX box to version 7.0.4 (using gem install ohai). When running ohai from the command line, the plugin works fine as expected.

I have added the ohai cookbook to the run_list of the AIX client node. Executing a chef-client run from the command line does not produce any warning nor error messages. However, the attributes collected by my custom plugin do not show up in the node view on the Chef server webui nor are they searchable from the command line using knife.

Are Ohai custom plugins supported by chef-client version 11.10.0.rc.1?

Is the problem I am seeing possibly caused by using Ohai 7 with chef-client version 11.10.0.rc.1?

Where should I look for evidence what's going wrong?

Thanks for any advice!

Reto