[chef] Setting up new accounts *without* building home directories

  • From: "Kadel-Garcia, Nico" < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Setting up new accounts *without* building home directories
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 22:04:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I’m going through the  ‘users’ cookbook, and various environments, and am trying to figure out how to set ‘useradd’ options to *not* use the ‘-M’ on Linux to automatically create home directories. There are all sorts of reasons not to want this: shared user homedirectories, NFS mounted homedirs that are temporarily offline, and root-squashed NFS shares on client servers are only some of them.

I see where the ‘-m’, which enforces home directory allocation, is being set up in lib/chef/provider/user/useradd.rb. But I’m afraid I’m having difficulty unfurling how to prevent it from being used at all or on an environment by environment basis.

--
Nico Kadel-Garcia
Senior Systems Consultant