[chef] Bootstrapping an Existing EC2 server

  • From: "Bhanot, Jyoti" < >
  • To: "' '" < >
  • Subject: [chef] Bootstrapping an Existing EC2 server
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 07:58:43 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hi All,

I got my Chef Server and Chef workstation configured on an AWS VM running Centos. I downloaded the chef-repo from GitHub as per the instructions.

I downloaded the keys from my Chef Server. I also had  keys from Amazon to use their EC2 API (AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID and AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY). I also created a key at Amazon for use with the instance (test.pem). All the keys are in ~chef-repo/.chef/ and in ~/.ssh/.

I am trying to bootstrap an existing ec2 instance in a specific environment and under a specific role.

I have used the following command:

knife bootstrap Server_IP --ssh-user root --sudo --identity-file ~/.ssh/test.pem --environment testing --node-name Centos_Node --run-list 'role[web_server]'

This command adds the node to the default environment.

Please help me to resolve the issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Jyoti Bhanot