[chef] Re: Bootstrapping an Existing EC2 server

  • From: Fabien Delpierre < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Bootstrapping an Existing EC2 server
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 09:04:47 -0400

Hello Jyoti,
If you were able to bootstrap the node at all, then all is well with the keys you have in your .chef and .ssh directories, and your AWS API keys likely have nothing to do with your issue, either.
It looks like you're doing three things with your bootstrap command:
1) Name the node "Centos_Node"
2) Add the "web_server" role to its run list
3) Set the environment to "testing"

So here's what I'm wondering:
- Do step #1 and #2 above take effect normally, i.e. once bootstrapping is complete, is the node indeed called "Centos_Node" and does its run list contain the web_server role and its dependents (if any)?
- Did you double-check that you did, in fact, create an environment called "testing" and upload it to the Chef Server? You may have created it but never uploaded it. If the environment you specify in the bootstrap command does not exist on the Chef Server, then it won't get assigned to the node.
You can check if the environment exists simply by typing:
$ knife environment list
If it's not there, create testing.rb in ~/chef-repo/environments. You could start with a single line in it:
name 'testing'
You can refer to http://docs.opscode.com/essentials_environments.html to create environments.
Once the environment exists on your workstation, type:
$ knife environment from file testing.rb
Then check again if the environment now exists on the server, and then you should be able to assign it to your node.

-Fabien