[chef] Re: Changing of environment via knife node edit command

  • From: DV < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Changing of environment via knife node edit command
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:20:46 -0700

It really depends on what the recipe is printing.. default['try']['x]? node['try']['x']? Something else?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM, < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi All,

While trying out environments in chef, I tried some steps as mentioned below
for better understanding usage of environments but could not get why the result
was something different then what I expected.

Here is what I have tried :

1. I have a recipe. consisting variable x = 5 defined in attributes/attr.rb

2. Then, I created a environment named "testing" for my cookbook named "try".
In this newly created environment, I have specified overirde_attributes
variable x=10

3. We know that "knife node edit <node_name>" command can be used to edit the
details of a node. So, moving ahead I edited environment attribute of node
"client_one" from "_default" to that "testing"

4. Now, my expectation was that if I execute recipe "try"  against this node it
should read and print the value of x as 10 but output printed was 5.

Please  let me know how the execution in this scenario does not read value of
variable x from environment.

Thanks

--
Best regards, Dmitriy V.