[chef] Versioning forked cookbooks

  • From: Andrew Brown < >
  • To: Chef Mailing List < >
  • Subject: [chef] Versioning forked cookbooks
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 19:18:18 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-CA

Ohai Chefs,

I have a question about how to version forked community cookbooks.  In our environment, we require a patch to the cron community cookbook, since it doesn’t exactly meet our needs.  Since a patch has also been submitted to upstream, eventually the community version will increase its version, possibly conflicting with ours.  As well, at some point in the future, we would like to switch back to the community version once the patch is accepted.

Given this background, how would you suggest to version the cron cookbook, as well as cookbooks that include it as a dependency?

Thanks!
Andrew