[chef] Re: Re: Re: Versioning forked cookbooks

  • From: Mike < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Versioning forked cookbooks
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:42:48 -0400

This is currently an unsolved problem.
There's a lot of contention around versioning and Chef, and there's no clear workflow for "what works best".

The flow Ranjib mentioned is one we do as well, and we don't freeze cookbooks on upload for this reason.

Is it perfect? Nope. But it works for now, at least until we can introduce better version identifiers in to Chef, chef-client, knife, and any plugins that we leverage for that to speak the same versioning language.

-M