[chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New RFCs: local mode and multitenancy

  • From: Tensibai < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New RFCs: local mode and multitenancy
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 16:50:23 +0200

Le 2014-09-04 00:31, Daniel DeLeo a écrit :

On the general topic, I can say this: As a business, Chef Software needs to give people reasons to buy our stuff, and some of that is going to be server features that we don’t include in the paid version. However, we have and will continue to design these features in such a way that interested community members can recreate the functionality on their own if they wish. In some cases, things will be open sourced once we decide there’s enough new stuff that we don’t need them to differentiate (like the erlang-based Chef Server).

Here’s an example of the benefit of open APIs for OSS users: the node history reporting feature, on the chef-client side of things, is built upon an event stream that anyone can create a plugin for. A community member was interested in integrating chef-client with the Foreman tool, and I pointed them at the relevant client-side reporting code and APIs. Based on that, they were able to integrate Chef with foreman (https://github.com/theforeman/chef-handler-foreman) with all the same data that chef-client sends to the proprietary reporting service. And I’ve further had no trouble recommending that users look at this as an alternative to the proprietary reporting service if they can’t afford that or want an open source solution.

I’ll finish up by saying there’s enough negative examples in the Open Source community of projects becoming crippled by the company that “owns” them, that it’s a valid concern. But I also think CHEF’s overall track record here has been pretty good. Also, if you feel strongly about these topics, you can join the developer meeting in IRC, which occurs every two weeks. The next one is tomorrow at 9AM Pacific time (aka America/Los Angeles).

--
Daniel DeLeo

I really do understand, I also tried having an entreprise chef, but our financial services have a problem with other currency than Euro ... and for our ~350 nodes, I sounds expensive to my managers at $6/node and per month :) (but its off topic here)

I agree to everything you said, I'm just saying how I feel seeing more and more tooling around chef oriented to entreprise only and which can't be used with OSS Chef Server. If I'm the only one feeling that, its that I'm wrong, but I wished to open the debate.

For why on mailing list over IRC meetings, unfortunately 9AM PDT is 6PM here, when I'm heading back home (1h trip) which does not let me join.

I really do NOT want to be rude, I just wanted to say what I feel and know if I'm the only one feeling that.

Thanks for the answer