[chef] Re: Re: Best practice for measuring and monitoring chef-client runs?

  • From: Mark Mzyk < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [chef] Re: Re: Best practice for measuring and monitoring chef-client runs?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:37:10 -0400

The report handler that supplies the data from the client run to the Chef server reporting add on is open source, so it could be used and/or built off of, if you didn't want to use the pre-built Chef add ons.

It's here in the client: https://github.com/opscode/chef/blob/master/lib/chef/resource_reporter.rb

- Mark Mzyk

" type="cite">
" photoname="Steffen Gebert" src="jpgs7YZUgS6zo.jpg" name="compose-unknown-contact.jpg" height="25px" width="25px">
September 17, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Jumping into the "we do.." postings: We send chef-client statistics to
zabbix using a report handler:
- success
- elapsed_time
- start_time
- end_time
- all_resources_num
- updated_resource num

I think that should be pretty easy to adapt to whatever monitoring
system you use.

Yours
Steffen

Links:
https://github.com/TYPO3-cookbooks/zabbix-custom-checks/blob/master/recipes/chef-client.rb
https://github.com/TYPO3-cookbooks/zabbix-custom-checks/blob/master/templates/default/chef-client/chef-client-handler.rb

" photoname="Augie Schwer" src="jpguDa8TT783R.jpg" name="postbox-contact.jpg" height="25px" width="25px">
September 16, 2014 at 8:33 PM
What are people using to monitor and measure their chef-client runs?

I would like to monitor for when chef-client runs fail on a node.

It would be nice to measure chef-client run times.

Is it safe to assume people are using handlers for both of these? What are some popular ways to accomplish these goals? Thanks!